AdamMadd

When you DON'T kill it - a post from Tiga

AdamMadd

posted a very raw and honest thing on facebook yesterday, which just goes to show that even the big guys have off days.

The original post is here:  

Quoted below:

"Here's something nobody talks about; how about when you DONT kill it. How about when you are what is actually wrong with the party. Your programming is lazy, your decisions are Ill-informed, you vacillate between confidence and cluelessness. Your records sound slow. You can't maintain a connection. The center cannot hold. You summon up arrogance to bolster your position. THEY obviously don't get it. Those "people" out there. That unknowing primitive mass doesn't understand the levels: that I'm a tortured post-trance, deep-funk acid-tinged anti-techouse futurist pop-laced groove martyr and that even when my effort is minimal and my energy is anemic and my playlists are best compared to outsider art and my grasp of the situation is utterly compromised by my self-absorption---- they should still bow down to my REPUTATION and go crazy and scream and clap. 
But no. There are nights when they know something you don't. And just like that, for a few hours, the magic is gone. And that's ok- makes it all the more magical when it reappears in another city, on another night. 
So yeah, sorry Rome. I love you but I just didn't kill it tonight. 
Love t"

What a legend!

• Peace 1

BrendanClay

Great post, this.  Wonderfully honest, too—nice to know that even the seasoned professionals have an "off night".

For me, it adds some context to the nights/sets where your tunes were great, mixing was up-to-standard, but, well, you just didn't nail it with the crowd—and sometimes you just don't.

On discussing with a mate of mine, he said, "something as personal [or subjective] as music can't always be perfectly fit for everyone".

Thanks for sharing!

AdamMadd

Its so true.  Many years ago, i came to the conclusion that "you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time".  But hearing a story like this from Tiga really makes me feel at ease when i have off nights too.

Izzy_Indigo
(edited)

The only free space was beneath a tree whose roots constantly sought to trip me up. The rest was jealously guarded by the throng. Lucky then, I didn't much feel like dancing. This due to the DJ. A joyless sort of Nimrod in the distance hunched over his turntables like a miser. He had one headphone on and never once looked up.

He was laying down a minamalist techno set. His sound designed, it seemed, to induce headaches; about as appealing as a baby banging on pots. I was not the only who thought so. Beside me a bearded bloke wore the expression of a man riding an elevator to the top of a tall building who, just as the doors had closed, had detected ‘FART’ by SomeOtherPassenger.

His indignation built until he couldn't hold it in any longer. "What a fucking show pony," he declared to me, gesturing at the DJ. "He's not reading the floor at all."

I noted the many people standing around and agreed he wasn't.

"Fuck I hate DJ's like that," my indignant companion continued. "They think it's all about then. They don’t understand, it’s all about us. I mean, mate, he's only putting on a fucking record, right? Barh, I'm off to get drunk."

Bemused, I watched him walk away muttering darkly about show ponies and shaking his head. He had a point though. You learned early that a good DJ was a conductor, operating from the shadows and playing the crowd - that was the skill you see, the artform - taking the faithful forward and onto the dancefloor and into the One Mind with their sound, and then shaping that Mind with their choices, dynamic, that seamless soundscape of flawlessly mixed tracks taking you away, away and dissolving you, the DJ an unknown but unparalleled power that transported to sacred realms,

found on the dance floor and in the mix and in the action and in the enhancements and very often with your eyes closed - and the real artists knew this, nursed this, had discernment, had metronones, individuals they watched to judge how they were hooking and where the would go, ready to switch it up, ready to shift, to bring rest in the breakdowns, ecstasy in the peaks, and to never, EVER bring the floor to a standstill. That was the cardinal sin.

And looking around now it seemed this DJ had commited it - a long time ago. Was continuing to commit it - a knifing, with everyone watching on shocked and no heros to stop it . . . 

Edited by Izzy_Indigo

fifi

Izzy has a valid point in his story, but at the same time i would find it rare that someone like Tiga would be like that.  This person in Izzy's story sounds like a real douche

BrendanClay
21 minutes ago, fifi said:

Izzy has a valid point in his story, but at the same time i would find it rare that someone like Tiga would be like that.  This person in Izzy's story sounds like a real douche

Or just a little inexperienced, and playing off a pre-planned-to-the-exact-cue-point set :)

• Like 1

Izzy_Indigo
On 31/07/2017 at 0:13 PM, AdamMadd said:

THEY obviously don't get it. Those "people" out there. That unknowing primitive mass doesn't understand the levels: that I'm a tortured post-trance, deep-funk acid-tinged anti-techouse futurist pop-laced groove martyr and that even when my effort is minimal and my energy is anemic and my playlists are best compared to outsider art and my grasp of the situation is utterly compromised by my self-absorption---- they should still bow down to my REPUTATION and go crazy and scream and clap.

It was this line that made me think of it. Interesting question - is the DJ artform sticking to your sound until the audience finds you, or is it reading the audience and finding their sound?

And yes @fifi he was a real douche ;)

AdamMadd
4 hours ago, Izzy_Indigo said:

It was this line that made me think of it. Interesting question - is the DJ artform sticking to your sound until the audience finds you, or is it reading the audience and finding their sound?

And yes @fifi he was a real douche ;)

I think he was saying  this with sarcasm perhaps?

AdamMadd
15 hours ago, BrendanClay said:

Or just a little inexperienced, and playing off a pre-planned-to-the-exact-cue-point set :)

And this is why i always like to bring ALL my music with me to a gig.  I rarely plan a set, unless its a massive / really important gig.  I like to wing it and play to how the crowd are responding, whether its a cruisy lounge bar gig or one with a dancefloor.  In my mind, you can never tell what sort of people are going to be there, so bring everything.  Of course, this meant back in the vinyl days i was taking 250+ vinyl to every gig, and in CD days, my CD wallets were excessively massive.  Thank fuck for digital DJing, don't need to lug all that around with me anymore :) 

Hymie

It's always the DJ's fault,..........not entirely. A promoter has to book the right DJ's for the gig. The promotion has to be done to attract the right crowd to the event etc, etc before the DJ can get to work. Imagine yourself being flown somewhere (once upon a time I could only take 2 crates of records) based upon demo's etc and you turn up and you are the wrong DJ and its the promoters fault?

Gut wrenching.

Tiga, he had an off night. At that level you are promoting Tiga, so there should be no issues about matching DJ to the crowd. But when you are not at that level, you have to walk in a deal with the crowd you find. Its way harder. And if the crowd is there but is hanging for the main act, sometimes whatever you do isnt going to work. I learnt that supporting Will E Tell out in Morwell. They didnt know who I was, they didnt care, they wanted Will E, he was what was promoted. No point in me crying about it, but it made it way way harder to DJ, after all, DJ'ing is about rhythm, flow & confidence.

So calling someone a douche simply because he didn't please the crowd isn't always fair. I would expect DJ's to understand that. There is always a bigger picture to consider.

By the way, preparing sets??? You make sure you take the right music, but planning track orders???? Maybe the opening set if it has an intro or something that you can do to make an impact. If it isn't a DJ competition where you need to set up stuff its pretty much a bad idea. You end up relying on the set you have prepared and if it starts to fall apart then you have nothing to turn to. DJ'ing is about as much about being lost in the moment as much as dancing is.

But when you make that moment work, that is when you create the potential for something truly original & special :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Add Your Event for FREE
Invite A Friend

• Similar Content

• OzClubbers
      By OzClubbers
      BE-AT.TV will premiere a brand new live series – Off/BEAT – 2pm CET on 7 December, taking viewers to Berlin’s iconic spy tower complex Teufelsberg with exclusive live performances from Mathew Jonson with Isis and Einmusik with Jonas Saalbach.
      Off/BEAT will showcase the music of innovative and celebrated electronic performers at spectacular locations around the world. This first episode sees multiple drone cameras encircling the famous Teufelsberg (Devil’s Mountain) spy tower, providing unique 360° views of two live performances.
      BE.At.TV BE.AT.TV Page
      The post BE.AT.TV Launch New Series ‘Off/BEAT’ With Mathew Jonson, Einmusik & Jonas Saalbach From Teufelsberg, Berlin appeared first on Deep House Amsterdam.
      Source: Deep House Amsterdam
    • OzClubbers
      By OzClubbers
      New Parisian imprint Lost On You is the first electronic record label and benefit program to donate all money raised from album sales.
      The label is a platform for talent, where talent becomes a way to help alleviate some of the toughest problems faced around the world, in this case, the fight against malnutrition, hunger and sanitary problems in the poorest parts of Africa.
      For it’s debut release, Several Definitions, steps in with a pearl of evocative on an expertly produced EP, “Sierra,” only fitting that such a refreshingly progressive label.
      “Sierra” is available 15 January on Lost on You

Soundcloud Label Page
      The post New Parisian Philanthropic Imprint LOST ON YOU Launches With 100% Album Profits For Charity appeared first on Deep House Amsterdam.
      Source: Deep House Amsterdam
    • OzClubbers
      By OzClubbers
      At this point it seems that we might just get a full From First To Last Album before we get a full Skrillex album. That being said fans of all ages are thrilled that Sonny Moore has once again reunited with his former band to produce a wild ride of a song with him on
      The post Skrillex Returns Again To From First To Last To Sing Vocals On Latest Track appeared first on EDM Sauce.
      Source: EDM Sauce
    • OzClubbers
      By OzClubbers
      Nice new live techno set from Enformig.

Share this

Hide Sites Source: Techno Music News
    • OzClubbers
      By OzClubbers
      16 December marks the date for a new edition of Shockerz. This new edition is all about Conflict Override, a mysterious theme which involves an even more mysterious enemy who tries to attack Project F.E.A.R, which is the name for all the performing artists and visitors. Because the event was sold-out 1,5 months (!) before the event took place, we went looking for 10 reasons why you shouldn’t miss this year’s edition.
      1. Free War Force album for every visitor
      Yes, you’ve read that right. Every visitor of Shockerz 2017 will receive the new War Force hard-copy album for FREE, which will be released and handed out at the event. Good news for all their fans, because they have been waiting for the tracks to be released. Recently the act revealed their performance at Shockerz 2017 and also that every visitor would receive the album for free. A big gift and surely something to get people up on their feet and marching to Den Bosch (near Eindhoven) on December 16.
      2. Raw classics during the Origins showcase
      Shockerz will also present a brand-new act. Origins, as the show is called, is 30 minutes of the best selection of raw hardstyle ‘classics’. Think of tracks like ‘B-Front & Frontliner – Magic’, ‘The R3bels – Pattern 2’ en ‘Chris One – Psycho’. Standing still is not an option and nostalgia is what it’s all about. The show will be the premiere of a new stand-alone event, also called Origins, which will take place on February 24. ..
      3. Sold out editions
      The title is this part kind off says it all. Shockerz has sold out in the past two years. Last year all tickets were even sold out at 1,5 months before the event took place. On the popular website TicketSwap more than 1500 people were still looking for tickets on the day of the event. So consider yourself warned and make sure to grab your tickets in time. Tickets are available through the official website.
      Travel (bus) to Shockerz 2017:
      – Festimove.com (French)
      – Akkros.com (French)
      – Feierreisen.de (German)
      – Hardtours.de (German)
      4. Many b2b performances
      Besides a big number of live-acts, there will also be a lot of surprising b2b performances at Shockerz 2017. A b2b is a collaboration on-stage, meaning that two or more artists will perform together on-stage. There is Radical Redemption vs Regain, E-Force vs Rebelion and Ncrypta vs Luminite. More b2b’s will soon be announced.
      5. Seven special live-acts
      During Shockerz 2017 there will be seven live-acts. Several of them have been revealed through their own trailer, like Minus Militia and War Force. Besides that Act of Rage will bring a special Sabotage album showcase, D-Sturb and Sub Sonik will perform live and MYST will be showcasing an exclusive live-act for the first time ever. More information about that will be revealed in an interview with him soon. Last but not least, B-Front will deliver his magic with Beyond Reality. 6. New and bigger location
      Shockerz has moved to a bigger location. With two previous sold out editions the organization felt it was time to step it up, so this year Shockerz will take place in Autotron in Den Bosch. Autotron is an enormous event location, which surely will crank up the capacity this year. In comparison, area 2 of Autotron is the same size as area 1 of Shockerz last year. People who have visited Shockerz in the past will know that this means big things are coming.
      7. D-Sturb is responsible for the anthem
      The person responsible for this year’s Shockerz anthem is D-Sturb. This became clear after a mysterious live video on his Facebook page. The young artist is sky-rocketing at the moment and will bring a special live-act on December 16. 8. MYST live for the first time ever
      Yes, for the first time ever MYST will deliver an exclusive live-act. He has been preparing for months and soon Hard News will present an interview with him, telling us more about what he has planned. MYST is crushing stages at the moment, with tracks like ‘Before You Go’, ‘Hear My Breath’ and ‘Never Look Back’ which have gotten tremendous support from both the fans and artists.
      9. Act of Rage ‘Sabotage’ album release
      Besides the War Force album, Act of Rage will also release his album at Shockerz 2017. That means visitors can also be the first to grab his album, at Shockerz.
      10. Massive line-up
      The line-up of Shockerz 2017 is filled with the biggest names and talented acts. To clarify, there will be artists from 13 different labels performing at Shockerz. Talking about diversity.
      THE FEARLESS
      Minus Militia – War Force (including Free Album) – B-Front Beyond Reality – Radical Redemption – Frequencerz – Warface – Fear the Public Enemies – Shockerz presents Origins – E-Force – Crypsis – D-Sturb LIVE – Sub Sonik LIVE – Regain – Delete – Requiem – High Voltage – Rebelion – Act of Rage LIVE – Bass Chaserz – MYST LIVE – RVAGE – Artifact – Killshot – MC Nolz
      THE RECKLESS
      Clockartz – Malice – Rooler – Apexx – Ncrypta – Luminite – Resist – Enemy Contact – The Machine – Deluzion – Re-Mind – Retaliation – Mind Dimension – Solutio – Physika – Gearbox New Blood Showcase: Chemical Soldiers, Sins of Insanity, Necrosis & Bestia – MC Livid
      Tickets for Shockerz 2017 are available through the official website. Join the event to stay up to date about more on the event.
      The post 10 reasons why you should visit Shockerz 2017 is visible on Hard News.
      Source: Hard News NL
  • Our picks

• Luigi Tozzi’s fathomless techno deep-dives and captivating biomorphic atmospherics have been a favorite of ours at Dub Monitor since the young Italian producer began regularly releasing in 2014. Tozzi is one of a surprising cohort of Italian producers who have distinguished themselves as an undeniable vanguard of ingenious experimentation in techno and commitment to its fusion of modernist and shamanistic impulses. Think of Lucy, the Dadub guys, Voices from the Lake, to name just a few. I was curious to know how Tozzi came to be doing what he’s doing, how he goes about making such weirdly organic techno, where he thinks Italian techno is going right now, and what his future plans might be.
      • 0 replies
    • UK hip hop, electronic crossover act Foreign Beggars formed in 2002 and have seen an evolution as an underground hip hop group to electronic crossover act ever since. With multiple studio recordings under their belt and an always high-energy live show, the critically acclaimed group are well known as one of the UK’s most inexhaustible and versatile acts. 
      • 0 replies
    • Neverland is the first in a series of events in Brisbane with a carefully curated line up of musical talent, world class sound, and unique live dance performances. We want to bring elements of the old skool raving days into today and provide all participants with a blend of what was and what is.

Floating Deep was built on the vision to bring imagination to life by creating unique events, transforming reality as we know it, providing captivating sounds to the people who love to party. It was established with the intention of expanding and growing an alternative music culture in Brisbane.

We want to share our passion for varying styles of futuristic, raw, melodic and wonky deep tech house music. These sounds can also be heard live every Wednesday on Soulfinity Radio between 9- 10pm AEST, with monthly guest appearances by some local and international DJ's and producers.

Music Genre: Deep,House,Minimal,Tech

Purchase Tickets: https://flamingalah.oztix.com.au/Default.aspx?Event=80228

Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/296160914208178

Photographer Requested: 1

• 0 replies
    • The final round of Digital Evolution - Techno is upon us 🔊🔊🔊

Not only is this the very last installment of the comp for 2017 but also - we'll be deciding who wins our TECHNO category!!

It's been an absolute pleasure to showcase some of Brisbane's best DJ talent in the interest of growing and supporting our scene and we hope you'll join us one last time and make it LARGE 🙌🙌

KICK OFF for this event is NOON. We have some very special guests to open and close our final event and will announce shortly.

No cover. BYO Drinks. As always FREE HUGS

Venue is max capacity 50 people so please rsvp if you're coming.

Music Genre: Techno

Purchase Tickets:

Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/1936488349951316

• Thanks
      • 0 replies
    • La Vibrations is back over summer with a massive lineup of artists!  Broadcasting from Frequencies TV, we have 3 solid months of techno!  Free Entry and quality tuna!

Our time sheet for the 3 months of TECHNO at Frequencies TV. 

La Vibrations at Frequencies TV dates:

November 2017 to March 2018

6th of Nov: Alex Hierl (Subversive Sound Front)
      20th of Nov: Rich Curtis (Techno)
      4th of Dec: Toasty
      18th of Dec: Jessie Kuch (Open Records) (Techno)
      15th of Jan: Papa K (Flux) & Rascal (Dragonfruit) (Techno)
      29th of Jan: Louderest (Live/Techno)
      5th of Feb: Pedestrian Planet (Live) 
      19th of Feb: ZoelJoel
      5th of Mar: Steve Saint (4P Events/VoX Populi)
      19th of Mar: HybridCell (Treffpunkt Events and Fnoob Techno Radio)

Every 1st and 3rd Mondays at Frequencies TV for bit of Q&A and good emotional inner techno rides. Even though some months we be hosting on 5th Monday of the month. 🙂 

Pop in for a beer over University holidays or stream in to share the love to your people. 🙂

Address: 57 Wellington Rd, Gabba.

Music Genre: Techno

Purchase Tickets:

• 0 replies
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      AdamMadd
      AdamMadd
    2. 2
      AnnaBodanna
      AnnaBodanna

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Privacy Policy, and Guidelines