AdamMadd

When you DON'T kill it - a post from Tiga

AdamMadd

posted a very raw and honest thing on facebook yesterday, which just goes to show that even the big guys have off days.

The original post is here:  

Quoted below:

"Here's something nobody talks about; how about when you DONT kill it. How about when you are what is actually wrong with the party. Your programming is lazy, your decisions are Ill-informed, you vacillate between confidence and cluelessness. Your records sound slow. You can't maintain a connection. The center cannot hold. You summon up arrogance to bolster your position. THEY obviously don't get it. Those "people" out there. That unknowing primitive mass doesn't understand the levels: that I'm a tortured post-trance, deep-funk acid-tinged anti-techouse futurist pop-laced groove martyr and that even when my effort is minimal and my energy is anemic and my playlists are best compared to outsider art and my grasp of the situation is utterly compromised by my self-absorption---- they should still bow down to my REPUTATION and go crazy and scream and clap. 
But no. There are nights when they know something you don't. And just like that, for a few hours, the magic is gone. And that's ok- makes it all the more magical when it reappears in another city, on another night. 
So yeah, sorry Rome. I love you but I just didn't kill it tonight. 
Love t"

What a legend!

• Peace 1

BrendanClay

Great post, this.  Wonderfully honest, too—nice to know that even the seasoned professionals have an "off night".

For me, it adds some context to the nights/sets where your tunes were great, mixing was up-to-standard, but, well, you just didn't nail it with the crowd—and sometimes you just don't.

On discussing with a mate of mine, he said, "something as personal [or subjective] as music can't always be perfectly fit for everyone".

Thanks for sharing!

AdamMadd

Its so true.  Many years ago, i came to the conclusion that "you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time".  But hearing a story like this from Tiga really makes me feel at ease when i have off nights too.

Izzy_Indigo
(edited)

The only free space was beneath a tree whose roots constantly sought to trip me up. The rest was jealously guarded by the throng. Lucky then, I didn't much feel like dancing. This due to the DJ. A joyless sort of Nimrod in the distance hunched over his turntables like a miser. He had one headphone on and never once looked up.

He was laying down a minamalist techno set. His sound designed, it seemed, to induce headaches; about as appealing as a baby banging on pots. I was not the only who thought so. Beside me a bearded bloke wore the expression of a man riding an elevator to the top of a tall building who, just as the doors had closed, had detected ‘FART’ by SomeOtherPassenger.

His indignation built until he couldn't hold it in any longer. "What a fucking show pony," he declared to me, gesturing at the DJ. "He's not reading the floor at all."

I noted the many people standing around and agreed he wasn't.

"Fuck I hate DJ's like that," my indignant companion continued. "They think it's all about then. They don’t understand, it’s all about us. I mean, mate, he's only putting on a fucking record, right? Barh, I'm off to get drunk."

Bemused, I watched him walk away muttering darkly about show ponies and shaking his head. He had a point though. You learned early that a good DJ was a conductor, operating from the shadows and playing the crowd - that was the skill you see, the artform - taking the faithful forward and onto the dancefloor and into the One Mind with their sound, and then shaping that Mind with their choices, dynamic, that seamless soundscape of flawlessly mixed tracks taking you away, away and dissolving you, the DJ an unknown but unparalleled power that transported to sacred realms,

found on the dance floor and in the mix and in the action and in the enhancements and very often with your eyes closed - and the real artists knew this, nursed this, had discernment, had metronones, individuals they watched to judge how they were hooking and where the would go, ready to switch it up, ready to shift, to bring rest in the breakdowns, ecstasy in the peaks, and to never, EVER bring the floor to a standstill. That was the cardinal sin.

And looking around now it seemed this DJ had commited it - a long time ago. Was continuing to commit it - a knifing, with everyone watching on shocked and no heros to stop it . . . 

Edited by Izzy_Indigo

fifi

Izzy has a valid point in his story, but at the same time i would find it rare that someone like Tiga would be like that.  This person in Izzy's story sounds like a real douche

BrendanClay
21 minutes ago, fifi said:

Izzy has a valid point in his story, but at the same time i would find it rare that someone like Tiga would be like that.  This person in Izzy's story sounds like a real douche

Or just a little inexperienced, and playing off a pre-planned-to-the-exact-cue-point set :)

• Like 1

Izzy_Indigo
On 31/07/2017 at 0:13 PM, AdamMadd said:

THEY obviously don't get it. Those "people" out there. That unknowing primitive mass doesn't understand the levels: that I'm a tortured post-trance, deep-funk acid-tinged anti-techouse futurist pop-laced groove martyr and that even when my effort is minimal and my energy is anemic and my playlists are best compared to outsider art and my grasp of the situation is utterly compromised by my self-absorption---- they should still bow down to my REPUTATION and go crazy and scream and clap.

It was this line that made me think of it. Interesting question - is the DJ artform sticking to your sound until the audience finds you, or is it reading the audience and finding their sound?

And yes @fifi he was a real douche ;)

AdamMadd
4 hours ago, Izzy_Indigo said:

It was this line that made me think of it. Interesting question - is the DJ artform sticking to your sound until the audience finds you, or is it reading the audience and finding their sound?

And yes @fifi he was a real douche ;)

I think he was saying  this with sarcasm perhaps?

AdamMadd
15 hours ago, BrendanClay said:

Or just a little inexperienced, and playing off a pre-planned-to-the-exact-cue-point set :)

And this is why i always like to bring ALL my music with me to a gig.  I rarely plan a set, unless its a massive / really important gig.  I like to wing it and play to how the crowd are responding, whether its a cruisy lounge bar gig or one with a dancefloor.  In my mind, you can never tell what sort of people are going to be there, so bring everything.  Of course, this meant back in the vinyl days i was taking 250+ vinyl to every gig, and in CD days, my CD wallets were excessively massive.  Thank fuck for digital DJing, don't need to lug all that around with me anymore :) 

Hymie

It's always the DJ's fault,..........not entirely. A promoter has to book the right DJ's for the gig. The promotion has to be done to attract the right crowd to the event etc, etc before the DJ can get to work. Imagine yourself being flown somewhere (once upon a time I could only take 2 crates of records) based upon demo's etc and you turn up and you are the wrong DJ and its the promoters fault?

Gut wrenching.

Tiga, he had an off night. At that level you are promoting Tiga, so there should be no issues about matching DJ to the crowd. But when you are not at that level, you have to walk in a deal with the crowd you find. Its way harder. And if the crowd is there but is hanging for the main act, sometimes whatever you do isnt going to work. I learnt that supporting Will E Tell out in Morwell. They didnt know who I was, they didnt care, they wanted Will E, he was what was promoted. No point in me crying about it, but it made it way way harder to DJ, after all, DJ'ing is about rhythm, flow & confidence.

So calling someone a douche simply because he didn't please the crowd isn't always fair. I would expect DJ's to understand that. There is always a bigger picture to consider.

By the way, preparing sets??? You make sure you take the right music, but planning track orders???? Maybe the opening set if it has an intro or something that you can do to make an impact. If it isn't a DJ competition where you need to set up stuff its pretty much a bad idea. You end up relying on the set you have prepared and if it starts to fall apart then you have nothing to turn to. DJ'ing is about as much about being lost in the moment as much as dancing is.

But when you make that moment work, that is when you create the potential for something truly original & special :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Become part of our clubbing family. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Add Your Event for FREE
Invite A Friend

• Similar Content

• AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      Australia’s Favourite Live Duo ‘Mashd N Kutcher’ Are Back!!
      With A Fresh Take On The Journey Classic: ‘Don’t Stop Believin’!’

Title: Don’t Stop Believin’ (Feat Addison)
      Artist: Mashd N Kutcher
      Label: Casablanca Records Australia
      Release Date: 6th July
      Added To ‘New Music Friday’ Spotify 6/7
      #1 LIVE Electronic DJ Duo in Australia Writing & Performing Pop / Electronic / Dance Records for 6 years Over a Billion video views across ALL Platforms Over 25 Million Streams across ALL Platforms Multiple Platinum & Gold Singles in Australia 2x Gold Certified Records in 18 Months: ‘Do It Now’ & ‘My Sunshine’ ‘Do It Now’ Top 10 Track on iTunes, #1 Shazam Chart, reached over 3 million+ streams and added to every major commercial radio station across the country ‘My Sunshine’ Top 5 on iTunes - #1 Most Played track on Australian Radio and reached #5 on iTunes ‘Need Me’ ft Sammi Constantine – Added across all radio Australia wide Mashd N Kutcher on Socials: 250 million video views in all, 1.3 million followers Facebook, 103,000 Instagrammers, 100,000 viewers on Snapchat and over 385,880 YouTube subscribers  
      Mashd N Kutcher return with a modern reinterpretation of the Journey classic: ‘Don’t Stop Believin’!
      Part DJ’s, part live instrumentalists, this keyboard and drummer duo from Brisbane Australia, have cemented their name as one of the most prominent Australian electronic music acts of recent years.  Three short years after they began, Mashd N Kutcher became one of the most talked about acts in the industry, consistently touring across: Australia, Asia, New Zealand, North America, South America and Europe.  From multiple DJ Mag Top100 clubs, to international festivals such as: Ultra Music Festival, s20 and Electric Love Festival, Mashd N Kutcher have now amassed a whopping 700+ live shows.
      Their music has been keeping Australia’s airwaves busy with Platinum and Gold selling singles: ‘My Sunshine’ - becoming the #1 Most Played record on Australian Radio in February and hitting Top 5 on iTunes multiple times.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, there is no doubt Mashd N Kutcher would have appeared in your newsfeed one time or another.  The pair have one of Australia’s biggest social media reaches online in music, with each video reaching tens of millions of views.  With over a whopping half a billion video views in total across all platforms, the boys have received not only online & radio praise, but also endorsements and partnerships from globally recognised brands.  This includes international media coverage by some of the world’s biggest news outlets including: The Discovery Channel, The Disney Channel, CBS, Good Morning America and Inside Edition.
      With their unique combination of music, live performances, brand versatility and social media presence, Mashd N Kutcher are a force to be reckoned with.

MASHD N KUTCHER LIVE SHOWS:
      04/07 - Electric Love, Salzburg, Austria
      05/07- Valamar Club, Porec, Croatia
      07/07 - Cafe Europa, Bielefeld, Germany
      11/07 - Airbeat One Festival, Nuestadt-Glewe, Germany
      13/07 - Lake Night, Blindenmarkt, Austria
      21/07 - Lick, Boliqueime, Portugal
      4/08 - Dog N Duck, Adelaide, Australia
      11/08 - Ettamagoah Hotel, Kellyville Ride, Australia
      18/08 - Regional Adelaide – Venue TBC
      24/08 - Fuze KL, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
      1/09 - King Street Hotel, Newcastle
      15/09 - Platinum Nightclub, Broadbeach, Australia
      22/09 - Regional Adelaide - Venue TBC
      29/09 - The Helm, Mooloolaba, Australia
      13/10 - Club 54, Launceston, Australia
      19/10 - Racehorse Hotel, Ipswich, Australia
      26/10 - Goulbourn Workers Club, Goulbourn, Australia
      27/10 - Dog N Duck, Adelaide, Australia
      More to come..
    • BrendanClay
      By BrendanClay
      Here is a fresh new mix from us—and one that definitely gives us the warm and fuzzies!
      So, our '
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. ' brand as a whole, the music we push—and, indeed, Andrew and I as individual DJs—is often centred around music on the lower, slower, deeper, warm-up tip. That is a label we've always worn with pride. Well, in this instance, our good friend, Flynn—of 'Move 4 Mood' fame—was kind enough to book us for a "peak time" set at The Flinders, and, with that, an opportunity to exercise our tougher, uptempo selections; as such, we did just that!
      We were fortunate to enjoy a heaving, packed dance floor from start to finish, and we delivered a strong selection of suitable cuts—all while staying fairly true to our Attic sound. The crowd response was phenomenal and we had a wonderful time making it all happen—hence the "warm and fuzzies" mentioned above! 
      Hope you enjoy this one as much as we did!
      x
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
      https://soundcloud.com/themshift/brendan-clay-andrew-fazzolari-live-at-the-flinders-2nd-june-2018
      : Tracklisting:
      01 : Coeo - 'Back In The Days' (Original Mix) [Toy Tonics]
      02 : Ari Bald - 'Moonshiner' (Original Mix) [Better Listen Records]
      03 : Johannes Albert - 'Beach Reach' (Original Mix) [Fine]
      04 : Duccio LP - 'I Can Stay Without You' (Original Mix) [Blaq Numbers]
      05 : Slamb - 'Getting Back (To Myself)' (Original Mix) [Infinite Pleasure]
      06 : Joe Corti - 'Mr. Kuti' (Original Mix) [Better Listen Records]
      07 : Iban Montoro & Jazzman Wax - 'Leave Me Alone' (Original Mix) [Robsoul Recordings]
      08 : Adryiano - 'Nite Talk' (Original Mix) [Shall Not Fade]
      09 : Bobby Analog - 'Dr. In The House' (Original Mix) [Body Fusion]
      10 : Tell - 'Y'all Feel That Honey' (Paradise Mix) [Quartet Series]
      11 : Black Loops - 'Higher' (Original Mix) [Neovinyl Recordings]
      12 : Folamour - 'La Pierre Et Le Sabre' (Original Mix) [Tronic Session Records]
      13 : The Timewriter - 'Pasodoble' (Kruse & Nuernberg Remix) [Streetlight]
      14 : Bas Roos - 'Searchin'' (Original Mix) [Exploited]
      15 : Sidney Charles - 'Jack On The Rocks' (Sante's 90s House Jam Remix) [Off Recordings]
      16 : Souldynamic - 'Equatoriale' (Original Mix) [Tribe Records]
      17 : Adryiano - 'Me And You And Her' (Original Mix) [Heist Recordings]
      18 : Soul Reductions - 'Got 2 Be Loved' (Original Mix) [Take Away]
      19 : Pierre Moritz - 'Eunuque Millionnaire' (Original Mix) [Shall Not Fade]
      20 : Slamb - 'I Want Your' (Original Mix) [Blaq Numbers]
      21 : Unknown - 'Track 3' [House Of Disco]
      22 : Loose Change - 'Straight From The Heart' (Joey Negro Straight To The Groove Mix) [Z Records]
      23 : Detroit Swindle - 'Just Not Norma' (Original Mix) [Heist Recordings]
      24 : Knuckle G. - 'You Got Me' (Original Mix) [De La Groove]
      25 : Folamour - 'Hearts Melting Into An Ocean' (Original Mix) [Kyoku Records]
      26 : Speed Boat - 'Speed Tool 001' (Original Mix) [Nail Shop]
      27 : Li'll Bo Tweak - 'Musics Hypnotising' (GhettoStep Mix) [Loungin' Recordings]
      28 : Vaggio - 'Don't You Want Some More' (Original Mix) [Ovum Recordings]
      29 : Midland - 'Double Feature' (Original Mix) [ReGraded]
      30 : Brame & Hamo - 'Roy Keane' (Original Mix) [Brame & Hamo]

• AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      There's nothing simple about Dashiki's colourful new effort "Forget You"

Dashiki is an unusual artistic movement that mixes a blend European and African cultures with music, visuals and people. After the success of their first single, Forget You, Dashiki has released an equally vibrant visual accompaniment. 
      Dashiki is the anagram of the three members in the collective… David, Shif and Kimbo. Aptly, Dashiki also refers to a traditional type African dress. Staying true to their roots, this mixture of African and European cultures is at the core of this project. 
      Dashiki is a collective where singers, dancers, designers and video makers, of both European and African origins, collaborate with the DJ producer who masterminded the whole idea. Their energy has been well directed to create Forget You, in 2017, and now their equally exhilarating video.
      Brought to life by the Dashiki movement, this video is an uplifting exploration that doesn’t shy away from a very relatable situation. Sewn together by three creative forces, the video is underpinned heavily by each of their skills, backgrounds and individual stories. This track has an eclectic and erratic slant, but in some way, has the sense of utter certainty that youth holds. Deleting his ex-girl in a video game like twist, no one can’t decide whether this is a good or bad move. Passionate and powerful, this loudly asks us whether forgetting is better than heartbreak? Either way, we can’t wait for more celebrations of life from the skilled musicians that have brought us Dashiki.

Spotify:

YouTube:

Social Media:
      https://www.facebook.com/itsdashiki/
      https://www.instagram.com/itsdashiki/?hl=en
      https://twitter.com/itsdashiki

• BrendanClay
      By BrendanClay
      So, as the dust has settled on our recent Attic event headlined by Laurence Guy—our fourth instalment—I am making available my recorded set from the evening.
      I opened up shop for the first hour on this occasion, so, accordingly; this is very much a lower, slower effort—105 BPM upwards—though, in doing so, I did my best to retain a lot of the melodic elements that make up our "Attic sound".
      I really enjoyed putting this one together and kicking off the night in a method that I saw fit—and what an evening it turned out to be!
      I hope you enjoy this one, all the same.
      Comments and feedback—and if you really enjoy it, bookings—are always welcome!
      'till next time!
      : Tracklisting:
      01 : Voodoo Whiskey - 'Poolside' (Original Mix) [Midnight Riot]
      02 : Atjazz - 'Open A Window' (Original Mix) [Atjazz Record Company]
      03 : Shur-I-Kan - 'Remember' (Original Mix) [Dark Energy Recordings]
      04 : Ben La Desh & Plan d'Aqua - 'Crackstate' (Original Mix) [Ism Recordings]
      05 : Ethyène - 'Rains Over Occident' (Original Mix) [Editorial Records]
      06 : Saine - 'You Can Count On Me' (Original Mix) [Masterworks Music]
      07 : Deephope - 'Transition' (Original Mix) [Deep Site Digital]
      08 : Luvless - 'Down With You Baby' (Original Mix) [Tsuba]
      09 : Kolja Gerstenberg - 'Mmmh Jaaazz' (Original Mix) [Smile For A While]
      10 : Ethyène ft. Folamour - 'Why My Love' (Original Mix) [Better Listen Records]
      11 : Tour-maubourg - 'Hang On' (Original Mix) [FHUO Records]
      12 : Closed Paradise - 'Secrets' (Original Mix) [Better Listen Records]
      13 : Daniel Leseman - 'On My Mind' (Original Mix) [Outplay]
    • AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      Ozclubbers Review of "I Need You" by Jroll, Voviii, and Wknd Warrior on Central Station Records
      Review by Wormie, Lou Lou, and MJ from Duggystone Radio

Transcript:
      Wormie and Lulu: We're here to review I need you by Jroll, Vovii, and Wknd Warrior, coming out on Central Station Records tomorrow (Fri 23rd Feb) LuLu: I've been listening to it and god, its a great track Wormie: Yeah I thorougly enjoyed it MJ: I really loved it, the beat and everything, and i loved how the second drop wasn't the same as the first drop. I know its something that many many of my friends would totally vibe to W: Its starts off with the bass, thats what got me hooked M: I loved the melody as well, the only thing that would amp that up more would be a female voice, not all throughout the song, just every now and then, but its still.... i loved it L: Yeah, the intro and outtro, its puts the song in such a different perspective, you don't expect it to drop into that heavy ass bass M: Yeah but even the drop itself, i didn't expect that, i was expecting it to be a harder drop than that, but it was still brilliant the way it all just worked together W: I personally think its an easy song to freestyle to L: Definitely M: Yeah definitely W: I was busting away to it throughout the song. Its going to be a dope song L: Freestylers are going to love it! W: Its smooth and easy listening, thats the best part about it from the start to the finish. The only thing I can really fault about the whole song is the outtro goes a bit too long, but thats all L: Yeah but it does cut the track too M: The good thing about that is, you can bust out solo's to it or its good to just listen to also just how it is, its versatile like that and thats a great sign of a great track L: I can 100% hear this on the radio in the future W: I could see me dancing to it in a nightclub after a few beverages too (all laugh) W: JRoll, Vovii, and Wknd Warrior, you have outdone yourselves with this one L: I give this one a 10 out of 10 W: Yeah, it gets a 10 out of 10 from me too M: 10 out of 10 from me too  
      OzClubbers Revew on I Need You.MP3
  • Our picks

• From the DJ’s perspective; since Larry Levan’s early days at the Paradise Garage, the remix – or playing different versions of songs – was one of the first notable aspects of what we now know as DJ Culture. His ethic of refreshing successful dancefloor movers in the late seventies passed down generations of DJ has been long-established as almost a perfunctory task, almost a must-do to be undertaken by the disk jockey.
    • WIN A VIP DOUBLE PASS TO SCOOTER AUS TOUR!
    • Here is a fresh new mix from us—and one that definitely gives us the warm and fuzzies!

So, our 'Attic' brand as a whole, the music we push—and, indeed, Andrew and I as individual DJs—is often centred around music on the lower, slower, deeper, warm-up tip. That is a label we've always worn with pride.
      • 0 replies
    • Recently I got to go check out the official Outlook Festival Queensland launch party in Brisbane. Presented by Quality Street Byron Bay, the event concept paid tribute to one of Europe’s most exciting Drum and Bass festivals and is a celebration of sound system culture.
    • Avicii 'died after cutting himself using broken wine bottle and bleeding to death' - while his family alluded to suicide in open letter saying 'he wanted peace'
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      Ozclubbers.com.au
      Ozclubbers.com.au

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Privacy Policy, and Guidelines