Littleloz

What is Techno

Littleloz    21
Littleloz

Hi everyone,

I hope i don't offend anyone in asking this, but was exactly is Techno?  I see so many events popping up on facebook and here that are Techno events, but i really don't know what it is.

Can someone please post some links to some music that is classified as Techno?  I guess there's subgenres of Techno too, so if you have any information about the sub genres also, that would be really helpful!

AdamMadd     213
AdamMadd

Quoted from Pete Helskanki:

----------------------------
- Techno is a "genre" traced back to 1973 
(Source)

- Techno has risen in popularity in recent years
(Source)
- Techno has many subgenres, many of them deviating from the 1973 sound considerably (no source)
- One of the leading underground techno labels today is Pole Group (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBbObY3psLI)
- The term "Techno" is used very commonly to describe House and Tech House genres in a bid to exploit current trends this is true with other genres (source)

Oh one more statement to add which is more of a personal view point: Two of the most well-known brands in Techno are Drumcode and CLR (Official) - Drumcode features very accessible music with simpler compositional elements. The structures making way for vocal elements. This kind of sound is often a gateway for individuals exploring the deeper sounds of the genre.

• Like 1

Nordic-By-Nature    0
Nordic-By-Nature
On ‎4‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:46 AM, Littleloz said:

Hi everyone,

I hope i don't offend anyone in asking this, but was exactly is Techno?  I see so many events popping up on facebook and here that are Techno events, but i really don't know what it is.

Can someone please post some links to some music that is classified as Techno?  I guess there's subgenres of Techno too, so if you have any information about the sub genres also, that would be really helpful!

Littleloz check this out

Its a doco about one of the pioneers of the techno sound out of Detroit and will give you a good feel for the sound and the feel of what is meant by the term "Techno" :)

Littleloz    21
Littleloz
22 minutes ago, Nordic-By-Nature said:

Littleloz check this out

Its a doco about one of the pioneers of the techno sound out of Detroit and will give you a good feel for the sound and the feel of what is meant by the term "Techno" :)

Ooh, thanks @Nordic-By-Nature!  I'll go watch that

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Add Your Event for FREE

• Similar Content

• AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      Bass Swag Entertainment proudly present:
      EXTINCT SESSIONS HOUSE & TECHNO

Free entry - Saturday 5th of August - 10pm to 3am

Bringing 5 hours of quality house & techno between 4 of Brisbanes best local Djs showcasing all sounds and styles that will have you dancing until the early hours of the morning

Jigga b2b Matt Guy
      Dubz
      TROUBLE

In the Mammoth Mane Stage (upstairs @ Woolly Mammoth), with a SPEED ENTRY directly from Coniston Lane (off McLachlan Street), and through the backgate!!!
      Music Genre: Bass,House,Techno Purchase Tickets: Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/1611141288927199
    • AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      IWTFA is proud to present MACHINE from Melbourne. Pretty much the most forward thinking techno club nights in the country and has been called by some, "best techno club night in the southern hemisphere". This is the night Scottie Chappell disapears to Melbourne once a month to go to so we are bringing Machine to Brisbane to show everyone why. 

Joining us is legendary techno mastermind SIMON SLIEKER who is one of the founders of Machine and machine resident LATERAL aka Matthew Drape. We are very excited to be bringing MACHINE to Brisbane for the first time to give you a total techno experience what Melbourne get once a month and still going strong all these years. So lets show them how Brisbane do it and give them a warm welcome. 

Finally we have the time and the space to give all our guests and supports 2 hours each to show everyone their full potential. something that is very rare in brisbane and especially in a warehouse environment. 

Also its Jamie Grenenger's birthday so come down a celebrate as it is Sarah Spencers and Jamies Birthday night!! big celebrations. 

MACHINE

Machine Club is the night time expression of Machine Label. It is home to Melbourne’s restless electronic devotees. It acts as a signal beacon to the witless and the wise. Its thumping baseline can be heard through the fog of the night. Characteristic of Machine is the harmonious intermingling of young and old, male and female, gay and straight; Machine and Machine Label don’t settle for the singular; rather an undulating landscape defined by a love of techno music in all of its multiple personalities. We welcome the journey, and all who undertake it. The path we have traversed is a 8 year adventure, already a fable, and the path that lies ahead? This is the tale we tell together. 

Over 8 years Machine has proven to be somewhat of a signal beacon for the emergence of a mature and considered revision of techno music, art and culture. Not surprising perhaps when it is revealed the driving force behind the endeavour are two older practitioners in Andrew Till and Simon Slieker, with 48 years of professional music industry involvement between them.

Eight years in, the Machine club is the hang-out for this re-emergence. Significantly, Machine is populated by a mix of age groups: representative of youth and maturity, enjoying an environment together, each bringing something to the table. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the artist roster, which boasts a swathe of established, older artists, some coming out of retirement, pulled by the lure of an event that is multi faceted, intelligent and offering the promise of something many artists yearn for in the techno field: recognition of artistic expression. Could it signal the “growing up” of the misdirected youth, ever the villain: techno music?

Further to this cause is the attraction of a band of artists, new to the fold, rallied by the sophisticated approach to sound which is at odds with typical commercial interests. The young welcome this apparently vibrant and expressive scene that clearly holds the interest of older heads than their own, that promises something more than a passing fad-like appeal.

Underwriting the spirit of the Machine club, is Machine the label. Representative of the night time realisation of the Machine ethos, the label offers a distinct outlet for the artist fold; beyond the temporal throws of an evenings soiree.

SIMON SLIEKER (MELB)

Simon Slieker is a career dj whose currency began with his first shows in 1994 and has held firm through 21 years of laying down as dj, performer, writer, producer and workshop practitioner.

Just as familiar with brooding melodies as he is tribal drums, Slieker is known for the sense of journey he creates: insistent and intense yet sensitive to the subtle textures which allow breath. The through-line: a mesmerising and hypnotic drive. With Simon Slieker you get classic turntable dj'ing: blended vinyl cuts interweaving across an extended music horizon.

Slieker’s career profile has taken him through most clubs and events in Melbourne, across Australia and various countries abroad. The more significant residencies were the Every Picture Tells a Story parties in the early 90's, 8 years with Teriyaki Anarki Saki, key resident contributions with Centriphugal, Revolver and Escape. He has also run several production enterprises, namely Yeah Fuck Yeah, Sucker Punch, Monotremes, When the Smoke Clears and the current vehicle Machine.

LATERAL (MELB)

If you're keen fan of Melbourne techno, there is a strong chance that you've heard the name 'Lateral' in the last couple of years. Lateral, the creation Melbourne-based DJ and Producer Matthew Drape, is the alternate alias for Matthew's darker and more experimental techno releases; with his previous, more melodic productions having been released under his first alias of 'Backroom Reality'.

There is not a whole lot to say when it comes down to him explaining the musical background behind his work or what his sources of inspiration are. Instead, he prefers to remain quite modest and relatively humble about his productions. Spending a significant portion of his downtime locked away in his studio ñ he sits there crafting dark, thunderous and high quality techno for the aural pleasure of his listeners and fans alike.

Lateral has a handful of remarkable releases under his belt so far, most of them residing on Melbourne-based record label 'Machine': the label he proudly calls his home. Recently, he was happy to be brought on board to help with dealings with the label by fellow crew, Andrew Till and Simon Sleiker.

Over the last couple of years, Matt has released several EP's on Machine ñ Including not only original compositions and remixes, but also a couple of collaborative works with fellow Melbourne producer and local techno heavyweight: D-Rex.

His latest EP on Machine, ìFermionî, is a hypnotic and deep combination of busy chugging techno full of atmosphere and depth. It features remixes by The Black Moy and Ground Loop.

In addition to his Machine releases: Lateral has released a standout EP on Melbourne/Glasgow based record label, One4SevenOne Records, called ìAltitudeî (released back in 2014) and his track ìFractalî was featured on One4SevenOne's ìMelbourne Sampler Aî compilation in 2015.

Matt has supported the likes of DVS1, Enrico Sangiuliano, Tripeo, Knobs, Luis Flores and many others ñ but he always enjoys performing alongside his fellow Melbourne techno artists and DJ's, and often his favourite gigs to play are the nights held by Machine. Previous events that Lateral has Djed at include Machine Halloween, Unfold 002, Machine 26 & Billion Underground Presents Tripeo [Live]. His latest set was at the highly esteemed Rainbow Serpent Festival, where he helped celebrate Rainbow's 20 year celebration. Bringing in the sunrise on the sunset stage Saturday morning.

SUPPORTS

- JAMIE GRENENGER (IWTFA)
      - BRAHMER (Soiree) 

VENUE: Secret Warehouse Venue BYO (please no glass). Venue will be announced a couple days before the event on the facebook event. 

Only bring good vibes. No bad attitudes or you will be ejected from the venue. 

NO LOCK OUTS

Tickets on sale now from ticketbooth.com.au
      Early Birds $10 (Limited amount)
      General Release: $20
      Music Genre: Techno Purchase Tickets: https://events.ticketbooth.com.au/event/iwtfa-presents-machine/pre-sale Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/1056561774474156
    • AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      Lemon & Lime is here to warm up for spring! With one of the best on anjuna label and one half of Way Out West!
      "Am I a legend?", asks Jody Wisternoff, questioning the question. "The thing is, legend tends to suggest you've had your time, got the pipe and slippers out and only work occasionally as the mood takes you, and nothing could be further from the truth in my case; I continue to push forward and evolve, plus I'm busier now than I've ever been!" Seriously? Clearly Jody Wisternoff is a man whose personal dictionary doesn't contain the term 'tread water'.
      Jody has indeed been pushing the envelope his entire career, which started at the very early age of 13 years when he and brother Sam prodigiously reached the finals of the DMC HipHop Championships. This success was compounded two years later when they found national fame as Tru Funk, landing themselves on the pages of cult magazine The Face and Tim Westwood's Radio 1 playlist. "Obviously it was a different genre to what I'm known for now," explains Jody, "Bristol's always been renowned for the calibre of its dub scene and the artists that have come out of it. In the late 80's and early 90's I was very much a part of that movement, which provided me with an invaluable foothold in the world of dance. I soon found myself DJing to thousands at fondly remembered festivals such as Universe and Fantazia. It was a crazy time."
      These formative years were influential too, for it was this background that underpinned the ethos of Way Out West, which Jody founded with Nick Warren following a chance meeting in a local record shop. Fusing Bristol's dub roots with club beats Way Out West captured a sound unlike any other at that time and burst onto the mid-nineties dance scene with
      seminal hits such as 'Ajare' and top ten smash 'The Gift', which they even performed on Top of the Pops (RIP). When not appearing on nationally treasured TV programmes they could be found remixing the likes of Roni Size, M-People, Orbital, Tiesto, Sasha, BT, UNKLE, James Holden and Fatboy Slim's Freak Power alter ego; touring the world alongside dance titans Faithless and The Prodigy and collaborating with Trevor Horn, arguably one of Britain's most successful and revered producers. How many can boast a CV like that?
      But perhaps most remarkable of all is that, in this highly disposable world of dance, Way Out West continues to this day. Currently working on their fifth album, Jody explains the key to their longevity, "It's because we don't live in each others pockets and take long breaks between WOW projects. In other words, we keep it fresh. It's a cycle of about 4 years focusing on solo stuff, followed by a year back together, which is great because we bring all our new experiences from this time apart time and feed it back into the band. It's not something we planned, or rather, do plan, it's a schedule and process that's developed over time and works."
      So what of Jody's solo endeavours? Well, if you think these are fallow periods living off the echo of past Way Out West achievements, you'd be very, very wrong indeed. Once again Jody's incomparable ability to succeed with production and DJing has seen him climb to the highest heights of Beatport (and we're talking THE overall, not genre chart here) and iTunes;
      remix Above & Beyond, Robert Babicz and more; tour the UK alongside 808 State legend Graham Massey; maintain a monthly show 'Intensified ' on Frisky radio, now in it's eighth(!) year; take on an A&R development role for Anjunadeep signing acts such as Lane8 and Lancelot and, as if all of that weren't enough, release his own solo album, 'Trails We Blaze'. "It's probably fitting to end this biog as I began," concludes Jody, "I really am busier now than ever, which is a blessing. Whether I'm in the studio, playing to 5 thousand alongside A&B at the Ally Pally or touring the world, I'm still as excited by what I do now as I was when I began. The music, style and opportunities may have evolved over the years, but my passion remains the same. No time for pipe and slippers yet!

www.jodywisternoff.com TWITTER: @jodywisternof fwww.wayoutwest.mu
      Music Genre: Techno,Trance Purchase Tickets: http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/jody-wisternoff-brisbane-show/97273 Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/247004182482613
    • AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      La Vibrations returns again for winter season with the locals selection of House and Techno vibes. We are happy to announnce that Pacific Voltage Club - Live (Gold Coast), know as Alex Noaks will be doing a live perfomance at Frequencies TV.

Pacific Voltage Club - Live (Gold Coast) (ADAPTOGEN AUDIO)
      Bio

From the moment close friends exposed him in 1995 to the sounds of Jeff Mills, Carl Cox and Laurent Garnier he knew the world of electronic music was a place he had to explore. 

20 years on, techno exploration well under way. which his current productions are now gaining attention of the worldwide techno community with remix for Californian label Journeys and an original EP and releases for Argentinean label Concepto Hipnotico and Lebanon based label Din is Noise, plus releases on his own label Adaptogen.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/alexandernoakes
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Support:
      Defwill
      Artemis
      H¥BRIDCELL
      Trouble
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

- BYO Food and Drinks 
      - $10 Pre Sales (Limited)
      - $15 Door   Music Genre: Techno Purchase Tickets: Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/999624506841600
    • AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      Dragonfruit Fridays presents:
      LUCCA TAN (DMU / The Breakfast Club / MEL)

Lucca Tan has emerged into one of Australia’s most well respected and highly demanded artists in the underground electronic music scene. The Melbourne born and bred DJ & Producer first began his journey eight years ago and has become successful in the industry through djing at various club nights and events.

Lucca is also involved with running Mi Casa at Revolver, Circus Sundays and The Breakfast Club at 161, which are amongst some of the very elite and well-respected venues and events in Melbourne. Another one of Lucca’s many projects includes hosting Melbourne’s leading underground radio show DMU LIVE on Kiss FM every Wednesday.

Lucca brings his own unique blend of techno to the Melbourne dance scene, ranging from minimal grooves to forward thinking dynamic techno.

I N F O:
      + $10 Entry
      + DOORS OPEN 9pm - 3am
      + 188 Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley
      Music Genre: House,Tech Purchase Tickets: Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/471173156590212
  • Our picks

• It's been 10 years since Henry Saiz launched his amazing label. Now come celebrate with an afternoon of amazing music in the courtyard.

HENRY SAIZ - BALANCE presents Natura Sonoris Label
      Balance Music - www.balancemusic.com.au

Soundcloud preview link: https://soundcloud.com/balanceseries/balance-presents- natura-sonoris- mixed-by- henry-saiz-preview-edit

Spanish musical genius Henry Saiz provided one of Balance's most memorable efforts on the 19th volume, utilising vinyl, cassette, reel-to- reel tapes and over 100 field recordings to create an incredible patchwork of sounds that came together as a beautiful whole. Ever keen to provide something unique, he returns to the series for Balance presents Natura Sonoris: an expansive mix comprised completely of exclusives from his award-winning label.

Supported by-
      Rich Curtis Dj
      Jesse Kuch
      Marcus Doré

Read more at: http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/henry-saiz-brisbane-show/96698#PG9g5dlpAXYLJ4e7.99I

Music Genre: Techno

Purchase Tickets: http://www.moshtix.com.au/v2/event/henry-saiz-brisbane-show/96698

Facebook URL: https://www.facebook.com/events/1673546276008027

• 0 replies
    • IWTFA is proud to present MACHINE from Melbourne.
      • 0 replies
    • BoogieKnights DANCEFLOOR REACTION / ARIA CLUB TOP 20    

• 0 replies
    • Hi everyone,

Thanks

• 3 replies
    • So the first nothing thread on herre is right here.  
      • 384 replies
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      infraDread
      infraDread
    2. 2
      AdamMadd
      AdamMadd
    3. 3
      liberabit
      liberabit
    4. 4
      Kawalski
      Kawalski

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Privacy Policy, and Guidelines