Site maintenance: 24-25 July 2018 Read more... ×
Jackbhoy

Clubbing alone, anyone done it?

Jackbhoy

Thanks for having me on the forum.

I may have to go along to the Lobster Theremin night on the 23rd September(Nthng, Asquith, and Dj Huere) solo due to various friends not being able to make it.

Does anyone think this will look weird or should i just go and dance the night away to some quality tunes and meet some random people?

AdamMadd

I think you can do it alone if you want.  I know a few people who go it alone and just chat to random people and enjoy the quality tunes there.  Good music will bring good people who are friendly and happy to meet other randoms..

@Kawalski did it when he first started going clubbing years ago, and now he knows so many people that its pretty much guaranteed that he will meet someone he knows when he goes out.  And even then, he still chats to randoms and meets new people every time :)  

Jackbhoy
1 minute ago, AdamMadd said:

I think you can do it alone if you want.  I know a few people who go it alone and just chat to random people and enjoy the quality tunes there.  Good music will bring good people who are friendly and happy to meet other randoms..

@Kawalski did it when he first started going clubbing years ago, and now he knows so many people that its pretty much guaranteed that he will meet someone he knows when he goes out.  And even then, he still chats to randoms and meets new people every time :)  

:twothumbs:     Thats what i was thinking.  

I've stayed by myself in clubs by myself before but only after going out with friends and then they pike out early and go home.   I always end up chatting to someone when out.

I reckon the hardest part will be the start of the night when I arrive and nobody is really up and dancing around yet.  

• Cool 1

AdamMadd
9 minutes ago, Jackbhoy said:

:twothumbs:     Thats what i was thinking.  

I've stayed by myself in clubs by myself before but only after going out with friends and then they pike out early and go home.   I always end up chatting to someone when out.

I reckon the hardest part will be the start of the night when I arrive and nobody is really up and dancing around yet.  

Yeah, you're dead right.   And events like the Lobster Theremin showcase, because its a warehouse-style gig, most people are really friendly..  Also look around for @Jamie Grenenger, he's a really nice guy who is always up for a good chat and to meet new people who are keen to be there for the music :)  

Of course, the smoking area is a great place to meet randoms at events like these, even if you don't smoke.  haha..

Last event i went to there, the IWTFA gig, people were dancing from the start, so you won't have to be worried about being the first. :)  What i love about our scene is everyone is so welcoming!

@liberabit , you've gone to a few gigs solo yourself over the years too i believe?

Jackbhoy
16 minutes ago, AdamMadd said:

Yeah, you're dead right.   And events like the Lobster Theremin showcase, because its a warehouse-style gig, most people are really friendly..  Also look around for @Jamie Grenenger, he's a really nice guy who is always up for a good chat and to meet new people who are keen to be there for the music :)  

Of course, the smoking area is a great place to meet randoms at events like these, even if you don't smoke.  haha..

Last event i went to there, the IWTFA gig, people were dancing from the start, so you won't have to be worried about being the first. :)  What i love about our scene is everyone is so welcoming!

@liberabit , you've gone to a few gigs solo yourself over the years too i believe?

Yeah i'll hang around the smoking area for a bit and have a few drinks and smoke. You're right that you always end up chatting to people there.

I'm glad the Brisbane scene is really taking off now and is very friendly, when i first arrived in Oz 12 years ago there was nothing around like there is now or maybe its just now that social media is big that events are easier to find.

AdamMadd

Social media has really opened up the opportunity to find new gigs, but at the same time unless you know someone who knows about these gigs, sometimes the likes of facebook can make it difficult to find them.  But its definitely easier to find these gigs these days :)  

• Like 1

AnnaBodanna

Welcome to the forums @Jackbhoy

I sometimes go out alone, depending on where i'm going and whats on.  Often i'll end up chatting to someone randomly at the event.  I prefer to go out with friends, but not always can my friends make it, and if there's someone playing i'd like to see, i'll still go it alone.

I won't be at the Lobster Theremin event but i know a few who are going so you'll be in friendly company if you do go :) 

liberabit
21 hours ago, AdamMadd said:

yeah, cause my friends don't share an interest in some of the awesome music I like I'm occassionally in the situation of having to fly solo. 

who cares if you're there by yourself?  you're there for your reasons and if some idiot wants to judge you for it that's their problem.  but as has been said, you'll often just end up making some new friends anyway.

Edited by liberabit
  • Like 1

Jackbhoy
3 hours ago, AnnaBodanna said:

Welcome to the forums @Jackbhoy

I sometimes go out alone, depending on where i'm going and whats on.  Often i'll end up chatting to someone randomly at the event.  I prefer to go out with friends, but not always can my friends make it, and if there's someone playing i'd like to see, i'll still go it alone.

I won't be at the Lobster Theremin event but i know a few who are going so you'll be in friendly company if you do go :) 

Thanks.  I'm going and will have a great time.   Im sure i'll bump into some nice people. 

1 hour ago, liberabit said:

yeah, cause my friends don't share an interest in some of the awesome music I like I'm occassionally in the situation of having to fly solo. 

who cares if you're there by yourself?  you're there for your reasons and if some idiot wants to judge you for it that's their problem.  but as has been said, you'll often just end up making some new friends anyway.

Same here.  My friends aren't very big techno/house fans so i don't get to these events as much as i should.   I'm just going to go alone from now on and meet some new friends who enjoy these events.

• Like 1

AnnaBodanna

So how was it?

Jackbhoy
20 hours ago, AnnaBodanna said:

So how was it?

It hasn't happened yet.  Not until the 23rd.

Thanks for asking though. :)

AnnaBodanna
2 hours ago, Jackbhoy said:

It hasn't happened yet.  Not until the 23rd.

Thanks for asking though. :)

For some reason i thought it was the weekend that just passed.  :) 

• Like 1

Littleloz

I do it all the time, but Newcastle is a small community, so i always end up running in to someone that i know.  :) 

• Like 1

T-Bone

Yeh man do it!  Best way to meet new people!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Become part of our clubbing family. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Add Your Event for FREE
Invite A Friend

• Similar Content

• Nordic-By-Nature
      By Nordic-By-Nature
      Frisson Records - Artist of the Week

To kick off our artist of the week feature we’ll be featuring an up and coming interstate DJ from Sydney who recently rocked our world at the Frission Records label party.

Artist Name: King Friendly
      Label: Independent

Tell us about yourself

I’m on the dance floor as often as I am producing music and DJing, I love everything about electronic music and really want to spread the positivity and inclusiveness that comes with it!

What genre/styles do you play?

Progressive House predominantly but also play a lot of Tech House and House. Anything with a good groove usually gets played in my sets.

What got you into the scene/dj’ing/producing?

Attending Tomorrowland Belgium in 2012. It showed me the power of electronic music and how it can bring people from all over the world closer together. I was already interested in electronic music but this experience made me really want to pursue it.

Check out Tom's U-Tube channel  Here
        Who has influenced you musically?  
      I really started getting into electronic music through Avicii and Skrillex. Since then a whole bunch of artists like; Axwell, Eric Prydz, Deadmau5, Steve Angello, Camelphat, Kryder and many others have influenced my musical tastes.

What are you currently working on? 

I’m working on incorporating more live elements to my productions, finishing up my Audio Engineering Degree as well as continuing to make videos to my youtube channel! I have some projects that are nearing completion and they will be up on youtube in the coming months as I get a bit better at video editing haha.

Tell us about your most recent gigs?

The Frisson Records Label Party in Brisbane was fantastic recently! Was great to in Brisbane and my next gig will be at the Beehive event in Sydney!

What can we expect from the future for King Friendly?

I want to continue to develop my production skills and continue to DJ to anyone and everyone! I would love to help show the generosity of the dance music community throughout my career and use it to create a fairer world for all.

What do people say about you?

I really pride myself in getting positive feedback from my DJ sets and try and go the extra step to research any event I play to ensure I have music that suits the venue as well as my set time. Whether it’s a smooth warm up set or high-energy headlining set I always try and play the best set to fit the vibe of the night.

Who have you enjoyed working with/hated the most?

I have been producing recently with OSKA from Sydney and it has been great to work on tracks with someone in the same location as me! As far as hating working with anyone, I haven’t, differences can makes life pretty interesting and if it’s not working out I just get through the project best I can and move on.

What’s your day job?

Corporate Audio Visual Technician but occasionally Barista and Bartend as well.

What do you listen to in your downtime?  

Anything, I love it all. From Classical to hardstyle I often end up in some interesting youtube rabbit holes of music.

What do you think about the Brisbane scene?

I was up for the weekend recently and had an absolute ball! There are still lots of great nights out in Sydney where I’m from but it definitely has a more relaxed feel in other cities. I
      think that is really important for a decent clubbing culture to develop and be sustained.

To book King Friendly contact him via facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kingfriendlymusic/
    • Nordic-By-Nature
      By Nordic-By-Nature
      Frisson Records is the creation of Mark Pridmore and his Czech Republic friend and label co-founder, Ctirad Koloja. The label is based mostly in Brisbane and currently focused on the styles of house, tech house and progressive.

OzClubbers attended a number of the very successful label parties hosted by Mark recently.  We thought it was time to spread the word on how they are helping local artists get exposure, get their music heard and helping people to enjoy what they do.
      The first half of 2018 has seen the parties showcase exciting new talent, well established DJ’s and also friends of the label. The events have been all about the music and if you like supporting local talent and get into house and progressive then we strongly encourage you to check out their next event! Details Here.
      So far events have seen performances by CAIN, Batchelo, TAGLO, Nafta, King Friendly, Avaxxa, Lifestream and MOTION.  For ALL THE VIBES, take a listen to CAIN and Lifestream going B2B at one of the parties Here

About Frisson
      With their industry experience already spanning several years, Mark and Ctirad have been involved with everything from performing and promoting to music journalism and artist management. It was their mutual love of electronic music and a desire to get further involved that made them decide to launch the label.   Young up and coming artist CAIN (Mark’s son) was also some of the reason behind the initial beginnings of Frisson. Cain and his friends were producing music and would struggle at times to find a label or a good outlet to promote and release their music. Initially Frisson was able to help them, but it didn’t stop there. Today they continue to assist new up and coming artists and create opportunities for those that are truly committed and passionate about their music. To find out more, check out their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FrissonRec/

Currently signed artists -
      CAIN
      Daniel Etienne
      ZO-LI
      The Concept
      MOTION 
      Nafta
      Boy With Boat
      Louderest
      To hear more, hit up the Frisson Records Soundcloud page or listen to our picks below:
      CAIN  Listen Here
      The Concept  Listen Here
      ZO-LI  Listen Here
    • NathanJones
      By NathanJones
      Purchase Tickets
      Music Genre: Garage,House Facebook URL: <div class='ipsType_break ipsContained'><a href='https://ozclubbers.com.au/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=redirect&url=https://www.facebook.com/events/253297158752517/&key=a718ea993200b52f7c60ac752b0580bc00b87f1bed84fb2a9db67e1d191a4893&resource=' target='_blank' rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/events/253297158752517/</a></div> After the success of the sold out Stylus: Not Forgotten on May 12th, Black Sheep Radio returns for an evening of more club classics on August 4th, again at 2 Brothers Brewery. This time it is 7:30pm-1am. 

• AdamMadd
      By AdamMadd
      test test
    • BrendanClay
      By BrendanClay
      So, as the dust has settled on our recent Attic event headlined by Laurence Guy—our fourth instalment—I am making available my recorded set from the evening.
      I opened up shop for the first hour on this occasion, so, accordingly; this is very much a lower, slower effort—105 BPM upwards—though, in doing so, I did my best to retain a lot of the melodic elements that make up our "Attic sound".
      I really enjoyed putting this one together and kicking off the night in a method that I saw fit—and what an evening it turned out to be!
      I hope you enjoy this one, all the same.
      Comments and feedback—and if you really enjoy it, bookings—are always welcome!
      'till next time!
      : Tracklisting:
      01 : Voodoo Whiskey - 'Poolside' (Original Mix) [Midnight Riot]
      02 : Atjazz - 'Open A Window' (Original Mix) [Atjazz Record Company]
      03 : Shur-I-Kan - 'Remember' (Original Mix) [Dark Energy Recordings]
      04 : Ben La Desh & Plan d'Aqua - 'Crackstate' (Original Mix) [Ism Recordings]
      05 : Ethyène - 'Rains Over Occident' (Original Mix) [Editorial Records]
      06 : Saine - 'You Can Count On Me' (Original Mix) [Masterworks Music]
      07 : Deephope - 'Transition' (Original Mix) [Deep Site Digital]
      08 : Luvless - 'Down With You Baby' (Original Mix) [Tsuba]
      09 : Kolja Gerstenberg - 'Mmmh Jaaazz' (Original Mix) [Smile For A While]
      10 : Ethyène ft. Folamour - 'Why My Love' (Original Mix) [Better Listen Records]
      11 : Tour-maubourg - 'Hang On' (Original Mix) [FHUO Records]
      12 : Closed Paradise - 'Secrets' (Original Mix) [Better Listen Records]
      13 : Daniel Leseman - 'On My Mind' (Original Mix) [Outplay]
  • Our picks

• From the DJ’s perspective; since Larry Levan’s early days at the Paradise Garage, the remix – or playing different versions of songs – was one of the first notable aspects of what we now know as DJ Culture. His ethic of refreshing successful dancefloor movers in the late seventies passed down generations of DJ has been long-established as almost a perfunctory task, almost a must-do to be undertaken by the disk jockey.
    • WIN A VIP DOUBLE PASS TO SCOOTER AUS TOUR!
    • Here is a fresh new mix from us—and one that definitely gives us the warm and fuzzies!

So, our 'Attic' brand as a whole, the music we push—and, indeed, Andrew and I as individual DJs—is often centred around music on the lower, slower, deeper, warm-up tip. That is a label we've always worn with pride.
      • 0 replies
    • Recently I got to go check out the official Outlook Festival Queensland launch party in Brisbane. Presented by Quality Street Byron Bay, the event concept paid tribute to one of Europe’s most exciting Drum and Bass festivals and is a celebration of sound system culture.
    • Avicii 'died after cutting himself using broken wine bottle and bleeding to death' - while his family alluded to suicide in open letter saying 'he wanted peace'
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      Ozclubbers.com.au
      Ozclubbers.com.au

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Privacy Policy, and Guidelines